Suppression for man on rape charge

Remanded on bail until next hearing in April.

Remanded on bail until next hearing in April.

A MAN facing one charge of rape, two of unlawful sexual connection and one count of indecent assault on a woman over 16 has been granted interim name suppression.

Police opposed the suppression application in Gisborne District Court yesterday but Judge Thomas Ingram ruled that name suppression should continue.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Tess Brownlie said there was no evidence that revealing his name would affect his present work. But defence counsel Adam Simperingham said there were “real concerns” that revealing his name would prejudice his chances of a fair trial in a small place like Gisborne.

It could also result in extreme financial hardship for him and his children. Judge Ingram said the man was entitled to the presumption of innocence.

“The short point here is there is every chance somebody will notice his name, and work will disappear and he will be left without income.”

This was a case in which the defence would argue that the accused either engaged in fully consensual activity or had reasonable grounds to believe consent had been given.

Interim name suppression would continue and the man would remain remanded on bail until the next hearing on April 21.

A MAN facing one charge of rape, two of unlawful sexual connection and one count of indecent assault on a woman over 16 has been granted interim name suppression.

Police opposed the suppression application in Gisborne District Court yesterday but Judge Thomas Ingram ruled that name suppression should continue.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Tess Brownlie said there was no evidence that revealing his name would affect his present work. But defence counsel Adam Simperingham said there were “real concerns” that revealing his name would prejudice his chances of a fair trial in a small place like Gisborne.

It could also result in extreme financial hardship for him and his children. Judge Ingram said the man was entitled to the presumption of innocence.

“The short point here is there is every chance somebody will notice his name, and work will disappear and he will be left without income.”

This was a case in which the defence would argue that the accused either engaged in fully consensual activity or had reasonable grounds to believe consent had been given.

Interim name suppression would continue and the man would remain remanded on bail until the next hearing on April 21.

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    The council estimates $13.2 million of work is needed on private drainage systems to help limit wastewater discharges into city rivers, along with $25m-$65m more work on the public wastewater and stormwater systems. Do you think private property owners should pay to repair their systems, the council, or a council subsidy such as interest-free loans?