Sales lost to blackout

But we hit the shops with a vengeance when lights came back on.

But we hit the shops with a vengeance when lights came back on.

A queue at BP Kaiti during the blackout.

GISBORNE retailers, accommodation providers and restaurants this week missed out on at least $1 million of pre-Christmas electronic sales with a sharp drop in spending during this week’s two-day power outage.

But it also appears that consumers began to make up for it the day after power was restored to the city.

Paymark figures for the first seven days of December show consumers spent at least $10.5m on credit and debit cards, about 1.5 percent up from the same week last year.

However, over the first five days of this week, spending almost halved, with just $5.66m worth of electronic transactions processed between Saturday and Wednesday this week.

The figures show that compared with the corresponding Monday last year, sales fell $506,000. Comparative underlying spending then fell by another $493,177 the day after.

Gisborne Chamber of Commerce vice-president Brent Mitchell said there had been a “significant loss of trade” but pointed out that customers had been very understanding.

“With most local businesses unable to trade for two days in the peak period just before Christmas, we are hearing that some have experienced significant trading losses.

“At the same time, a number of production schedules have been affected with a range of projects falling behind target.

“However, Chamber members we have spoken to are saying that customers have been very understanding, and businesses expect the rest of the week will be extra busy as they get back on track.

“On behalf of our members, we’d like to express our condolences to the families of the two men who lost their lives, and our thanks to the team at Eastland Network for working so hard to restore power to the businesses and homes of the region.”

Figures provided by Paymark, which processes more than 75 percent of all electronic transactions, also indicated that when power was restored on Wednesday, consumers spent $1.88m, over $800,000 more than the previous day, and $251,000 more than the corresponding day last year.

GISBORNE retailers, accommodation providers and restaurants this week missed out on at least $1 million of pre-Christmas electronic sales with a sharp drop in spending during this week’s two-day power outage.

But it also appears that consumers began to make up for it the day after power was restored to the city.

Paymark figures for the first seven days of December show consumers spent at least $10.5m on credit and debit cards, about 1.5 percent up from the same week last year.

However, over the first five days of this week, spending almost halved, with just $5.66m worth of electronic transactions processed between Saturday and Wednesday this week.

The figures show that compared with the corresponding Monday last year, sales fell $506,000. Comparative underlying spending then fell by another $493,177 the day after.

Gisborne Chamber of Commerce vice-president Brent Mitchell said there had been a “significant loss of trade” but pointed out that customers had been very understanding.

“With most local businesses unable to trade for two days in the peak period just before Christmas, we are hearing that some have experienced significant trading losses.

“At the same time, a number of production schedules have been affected with a range of projects falling behind target.

“However, Chamber members we have spoken to are saying that customers have been very understanding, and businesses expect the rest of the week will be extra busy as they get back on track.

“On behalf of our members, we’d like to express our condolences to the families of the two men who lost their lives, and our thanks to the team at Eastland Network for working so hard to restore power to the businesses and homes of the region.”

Figures provided by Paymark, which processes more than 75 percent of all electronic transactions, also indicated that when power was restored on Wednesday, consumers spent $1.88m, over $800,000 more than the previous day, and $251,000 more than the corresponding day last year.

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    If junior doctors around the country plan further strike action, should Gisborne’s junior doctors — who already have the “safe” rosters at the heart of the dispute — continue to strike with them?

    See also: