Swells mean no stop for Princess

Ship‘s third visit of the season cancelled yesterday afternoon.

Ship‘s third visit of the season cancelled yesterday afternoon.

FIRST OF THE SEASON: The Golden Princess, pictured in Poverty Bay in December of last year, will start the 2017-2018 season of cruise ship visits to Gisborne. It is scheduled to arrive on December 27, the first of four consecutive visits. Picture by Liam Clayton

THE cruise ship Golden Princess had to pass by Gisborne this morning due to a heavy swell beyond the safety limits to unload and tender passengers ashore.

The ship‘s third visit of the season was cancelled yesterday afternoon. The ship’s captain was advised that a large swell was expected in Poverty Bay today.

“A big swell puts the visit beyond safety limits to bring passengers ashore,” a port official said.

Cruise co-ordinator Lana Davy from Heart of Gisborne said it was “unfortunate” the visit could not proceed today.

“But it is all part of being a tendering port.

“We are extremely fortunate that an early cancellation call was made yesterday afternoon, because normally we find out on the day,” she said.

The south-west swell that was around 2.5 metres in the Bay yesterday was expected to build further from the south today.

Some surf prediction sites predict waves up to 3 metres on this coast today. The Golden Princess is scheduled to call here next on January 25, with the smaller Seven Seas Voyager due on January 23.

THE cruise ship Golden Princess had to pass by Gisborne this morning due to a heavy swell beyond the safety limits to unload and tender passengers ashore.

The ship‘s third visit of the season was cancelled yesterday afternoon. The ship’s captain was advised that a large swell was expected in Poverty Bay today.

“A big swell puts the visit beyond safety limits to bring passengers ashore,” a port official said.

Cruise co-ordinator Lana Davy from Heart of Gisborne said it was “unfortunate” the visit could not proceed today.

“But it is all part of being a tendering port.

“We are extremely fortunate that an early cancellation call was made yesterday afternoon, because normally we find out on the day,” she said.

The south-west swell that was around 2.5 metres in the Bay yesterday was expected to build further from the south today.

Some surf prediction sites predict waves up to 3 metres on this coast today. The Golden Princess is scheduled to call here next on January 25, with the smaller Seven Seas Voyager due on January 23.

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Joe - 9 months ago
Load of garbage, what's 2.5 metre swells when you're with 5 metre swells for 24 hours?

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Did Winston Peters and New Zealand First make the right decision?