Oily rags ignite shed fire

Rags with Danish oil on them spontaneously combust and fire destroys shed contents.

Rags with Danish oil on them spontaneously combust and fire destroys shed contents.

PROPERTY LOST: Fire crews fought a shed blaze in Huxley Road yesterday morning that destroyed a range of property including a restored Mini Clubman car. The front of the car is visible in the photograph but is the only part left intact. Also lost were a trailer, scooters, pianos and tools. Picture by Liam Clayton

INCORRECT disposal of rags impregnated with Danish oil started a fire that destroyed the contents of a shed and lean-to on a property in Huxley Road yesterday that included a vintage Mini Clubman car.

The devastated property owner discovered the fire and called 111 at about 11am.

“On arrival we found the shed totally involved in fire and it was threatening a neighbour’s car shed,” said Station Officer Chris Grimson.

“We concentrated initially on stopping the fire from spreading to the neighbouring property and were able to extinguish the fire pretty quickly.”

A car trailer, scooters, workshop tools and pianos were lost, and the Mini Clubman stored in the lean-to was extensively damaged.

“We determined it was started by rags impregnated with Danish oil that had been used for wood polish,” SO Grimson said.

“The resident had been using it Monday afternoon and disposed of the rags in a plastic rubbish bin.

“The rags decomposed overnight and eventually ignited. They set fire to the plastic bin and the fire spread from there.”

SO Grimson said the property owner was devastated at the loss.

“He had just finished restoring the shed and the Mini Clubman car in it.”

Two fire crews were there for an hour-and-a-half and returned later in the afternoon to check for hot spots.

“The message we would like to send to the public is if they are using Danish or linseed oil, or Tung oil, peg out the rags to dry properly in the breeze afterwards.

“Do not screw them up and discard them.”

INCORRECT disposal of rags impregnated with Danish oil started a fire that destroyed the contents of a shed and lean-to on a property in Huxley Road yesterday that included a vintage Mini Clubman car.

The devastated property owner discovered the fire and called 111 at about 11am.

“On arrival we found the shed totally involved in fire and it was threatening a neighbour’s car shed,” said Station Officer Chris Grimson.

“We concentrated initially on stopping the fire from spreading to the neighbouring property and were able to extinguish the fire pretty quickly.”

A car trailer, scooters, workshop tools and pianos were lost, and the Mini Clubman stored in the lean-to was extensively damaged.

“We determined it was started by rags impregnated with Danish oil that had been used for wood polish,” SO Grimson said.

“The resident had been using it Monday afternoon and disposed of the rags in a plastic rubbish bin.

“The rags decomposed overnight and eventually ignited. They set fire to the plastic bin and the fire spread from there.”

SO Grimson said the property owner was devastated at the loss.

“He had just finished restoring the shed and the Mini Clubman car in it.”

Two fire crews were there for an hour-and-a-half and returned later in the afternoon to check for hot spots.

“The message we would like to send to the public is if they are using Danish or linseed oil, or Tung oil, peg out the rags to dry properly in the breeze afterwards.

“Do not screw them up and discard them.”

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Do you support the Prime Minister's stance on not attending the Waitangi Day commemoration at Waitangi this year?