Alert neighbour hears smoke alarm

File picture

SMOKE alarms and an alert neighbour made the difference last night when unattended food on the stove of a house in Cavendish Crescent in outer Kaiti threatened to catch alight.

Fire and Emergency NZ received a 111 call from the concerned neighbour at 10.40pm last night.

“The people in the house had put something on the stove to cook, then went out for a while,” a senior firefighter said.

“The food overheated and set off the home’s smoke alarms.

“The neighbour heard it and immediately called us.” he said.

When the first fire crew arrived they found the food smouldering on the stove.

“It was just about at ignition point, so well done to the smoke alarms and well done to the neighbour.”

The senior firefighter said as a result there was very little damage caused.

“But once again we see the value of functional smoke alarms in a home.”

~

Firefighters were called to Wellington Street earlier in the evening after a power issue developed. It happened at about 6.20pm.

“We stood by until Eastland Network faults staff arrived to deal with the problem,” the senior firefighter said.

Network general manager Brent Stewart said they had a fault with an 11kV cable that affected supply to a ground-mounted transformer.

“About 90 of our customers in that
area were without power for about an hour while we brought in a mobile generator.

“We will have permanent repairs completed today.”

SMOKE alarms and an alert neighbour made the difference last night when unattended food on the stove of a house in Cavendish Crescent in outer Kaiti threatened to catch alight.

Fire and Emergency NZ received a 111 call from the concerned neighbour at 10.40pm last night.

“The people in the house had put something on the stove to cook, then went out for a while,” a senior firefighter said.

“The food overheated and set off the home’s smoke alarms.

“The neighbour heard it and immediately called us.” he said.

When the first fire crew arrived they found the food smouldering on the stove.

“It was just about at ignition point, so well done to the smoke alarms and well done to the neighbour.”

The senior firefighter said as a result there was very little damage caused.

“But once again we see the value of functional smoke alarms in a home.”

~

Firefighters were called to Wellington Street earlier in the evening after a power issue developed. It happened at about 6.20pm.

“We stood by until Eastland Network faults staff arrived to deal with the problem,” the senior firefighter said.

Network general manager Brent Stewart said they had a fault with an 11kV cable that affected supply to a ground-mounted transformer.

“About 90 of our customers in that
area were without power for about an hour while we brought in a mobile generator.

“We will have permanent repairs completed today.”

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Do you support the $6 million proposal for Rugby Park, which includes synthetic turf, an athletics track, additional sportsfield, all-weather sports pavilion and conference/function centre?