Island Road kitchen fire

Neighbour goes to the rescue.

Neighbour goes to the rescue.

A NEIGHBOUR broke into an Island Road home at midday on Saturday after he heard smoke alarms and saw a fire starting in the kitchen.

Firefighters praised his quick and decisive actions.

Fire and Emergency NZ received a 111 call from the man at 12.40pm Saturday.

“He heard the alarms go off and went next door to investigate,” said Station Officer Trudi Hicklin.

“The man saw flames around the stove in the kitchen that were starting to set curtains alight.

“He grabbed a small hammer, broke a window to get inside and put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.”

SO Hicklin said it was very well done.

“It was very close to being a full-scale structure fire,” said SO Hicklin.

“His actions saved that house.

“The people who live there were away from the home at the time.”

SO Hicklin said it was another case of food left unattended on the stove.

There have now been half-a-dozen fires caused by unattended cooking in this district since the start of the year.

“The incident also illustrates the value of having working smoke alarms in the home.”

A NEIGHBOUR broke into an Island Road home at midday on Saturday after he heard smoke alarms and saw a fire starting in the kitchen.

Firefighters praised his quick and decisive actions.

Fire and Emergency NZ received a 111 call from the man at 12.40pm Saturday.

“He heard the alarms go off and went next door to investigate,” said Station Officer Trudi Hicklin.

“The man saw flames around the stove in the kitchen that were starting to set curtains alight.

“He grabbed a small hammer, broke a window to get inside and put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.”

SO Hicklin said it was very well done.

“It was very close to being a full-scale structure fire,” said SO Hicklin.

“His actions saved that house.

“The people who live there were away from the home at the time.”

SO Hicklin said it was another case of food left unattended on the stove.

There have now been half-a-dozen fires caused by unattended cooking in this district since the start of the year.

“The incident also illustrates the value of having working smoke alarms in the home.”

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    ​​If the council does proceed with an online voting option for the 2019 election, will you likely vote online or by ballot paper?