District's seed maize harvest under way

'Crops looking really good'.

'Crops looking really good'.

OUT IN THE FIELD: The annual maize harvest started this week as Pioneer Seeds started to bring in its seed maize. The grain maize companies expect to start their harvestING in the next 10 days to a fortnight Around Gisborne, Wairoa and up the Coast File picture

THE seed maize harvest in the district started at the beginning of the week and the grain maize harvest is set to start in just under a fortnight with reported yields of average to above.

It is predicted that in excess of 40,000 tonnes of grain maize will be harvested this year.

Corson Grain procurement manager Richard Hyland said they expected to start their harvest the week after next.

“If the weather stays like this we should be ready to go on March 12.

“The crops are looking really good and we expect to get average to above average yields.”

Mr Hyland said they would start the harvest simultaneously in all three growing areas — Gisborne, the East Coast and Wairoa.

“Our estimated tonnage this season is up a little on normal. We are looking to process around 18,000 tonnes.”

Glencore Grain regional manager Dave Corrin said they also intended to start some time between March 12 to 19, depending on the weather.

“At the moment our crops look fantastic. But until you get the harvester in there and the weather behaves itself, it’s dangerous to make too many predictions.

“At this stage we are hoping for a better-than-average season.”

The maize harvest will continue into early June.

Pioneer Seeds got its seed maize harvest under way this week.

Field manager Duncan Grant said they had 30 percent more crops planted this season.

“The earlier crops are doing OK and the later crops look even better. Our total harvest will be higher than last year due to the extra area planted and slightly-above-normal yields.”

Mr Grant said it would take about 10 weeks to complete this season’s harvest.

“That is obviously weather dependent and the long-range forecast indicates some rain, but whether or not it comes to anything remains to be seen,” he said.

Pioneer’s production is divided into 60 percent for the New Zealand market and the other 40 percent for export.

“Our export programme starts next week with a shipment to Japan that will be shipped out of Napier in containers.”

THE seed maize harvest in the district started at the beginning of the week and the grain maize harvest is set to start in just under a fortnight with reported yields of average to above.

It is predicted that in excess of 40,000 tonnes of grain maize will be harvested this year.

Corson Grain procurement manager Richard Hyland said they expected to start their harvest the week after next.

“If the weather stays like this we should be ready to go on March 12.

“The crops are looking really good and we expect to get average to above average yields.”

Mr Hyland said they would start the harvest simultaneously in all three growing areas — Gisborne, the East Coast and Wairoa.

“Our estimated tonnage this season is up a little on normal. We are looking to process around 18,000 tonnes.”

Glencore Grain regional manager Dave Corrin said they also intended to start some time between March 12 to 19, depending on the weather.

“At the moment our crops look fantastic. But until you get the harvester in there and the weather behaves itself, it’s dangerous to make too many predictions.

“At this stage we are hoping for a better-than-average season.”

The maize harvest will continue into early June.

Pioneer Seeds got its seed maize harvest under way this week.

Field manager Duncan Grant said they had 30 percent more crops planted this season.

“The earlier crops are doing OK and the later crops look even better. Our total harvest will be higher than last year due to the extra area planted and slightly-above-normal yields.”

Mr Grant said it would take about 10 weeks to complete this season’s harvest.

“That is obviously weather dependent and the long-range forecast indicates some rain, but whether or not it comes to anything remains to be seen,” he said.

Pioneer’s production is divided into 60 percent for the New Zealand market and the other 40 percent for export.

“Our export programme starts next week with a shipment to Japan that will be shipped out of Napier in containers.”

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    ​​If the council does proceed with an online voting option for the 2019 election, will you likely vote online or by ballot paper?