Fell tragically short of escape from fire

Heart condition a significant factor.

Heart condition a significant factor.

DESTROYED BY FIRE: The remains of a house fire that claimed the life of Wairoa man Shane Kaimoana last year. File picture

A Wairoa man with a heart condition collapsed as he tried to escape a burning house and died at the front door, a coroner has found.

Shane Kaimoana died in the fire at the Kiwi Road home, off Frasertown Road, at around 10pm on Friday, December 8, of last year.

The house was destroyed.

In his findings, coroner Tim Scott said the 53-year-old beneficiary became aware of the fire and breathed in smoke as he tried to get out of the house.

“The position he was lying in near the front door indicated he had tried to escape the fire,” said Mr Scott.

“Sadly, Shane collapsed at the front door, probably as a result of a medical event associated with a heart condition (coronary artery atherosclerosis).

“Had it not been for that medical condition and his collapse, it’s probable he would have exited the house in safety. As it was, he nearly did so.”

Mr Scott said before the fire, Mr Kaimoana had a chest infection and breathing difficulties.

His body was badly burned and ESR scientists did DNA tests to establish his identity.

Mr Kaimoana was alone in the house when the fire started.

A specialist fire investigator said Mr Kaimoana was found “lying on his back with his head approximately on or near the doorway”.

The fire started in the kitchen. The point of origin was an aluminium pot on the stove top.

“Shane’s death was a direct result and consequence of a fire that largely destroyed the house he lived in,” said the coroner.

He extended his condolences and sympathy to Mr Kaimoana’s family.

A Wairoa man with a heart condition collapsed as he tried to escape a burning house and died at the front door, a coroner has found.

Shane Kaimoana died in the fire at the Kiwi Road home, off Frasertown Road, at around 10pm on Friday, December 8, of last year.

The house was destroyed.

In his findings, coroner Tim Scott said the 53-year-old beneficiary became aware of the fire and breathed in smoke as he tried to get out of the house.

“The position he was lying in near the front door indicated he had tried to escape the fire,” said Mr Scott.

“Sadly, Shane collapsed at the front door, probably as a result of a medical event associated with a heart condition (coronary artery atherosclerosis).

“Had it not been for that medical condition and his collapse, it’s probable he would have exited the house in safety. As it was, he nearly did so.”

Mr Scott said before the fire, Mr Kaimoana had a chest infection and breathing difficulties.

His body was badly burned and ESR scientists did DNA tests to establish his identity.

Mr Kaimoana was alone in the house when the fire started.

A specialist fire investigator said Mr Kaimoana was found “lying on his back with his head approximately on or near the doorway”.

The fire started in the kitchen. The point of origin was an aluminium pot on the stove top.

“Shane’s death was a direct result and consequence of a fire that largely destroyed the house he lived in,” said the coroner.

He extended his condolences and sympathy to Mr Kaimoana’s family.

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Do you agree with the Government’s new guideline for police, to not prosecute drug users when a therapeutic approach would be more beneficial or there is no public interest in prosecution?