Assault victim out of hospital

THE Wairoa man critically injured in an assault in the town last weekend has now been discharged from Hawke’s Bay Hospital in Hastings to further recover at home.

He was transferred back from Wellington Hospital’s intensive care unit to Hawke’s Bay Hospital earlier this week and was discharged from there yesterday.

The 27-year-old suffered a serious injury to his upper body in an incident in Lion Street in Wairoa early on Sunday morning.

Detective Senior Sergeant Kevin Ford said the matter was gang-related.

“There have been no arrests made as yet but we have extra staff working in Wairoa, including some doing extra shifts, as our investigation continues.”

Police continue to seek witnesses to the incident.

“We want to hear from anyone who was at that address or in that area of Wairoa early Sunday morning,” Det Snr Sgt Ford said.

“We would like to reassure the community that this is an isolated incident and there will be a larger police presence in the area.

“We also encourage anyone who notices suspicious behaviour, or has information that may assist this investigation to call Wairoa Police on 06-838 8345 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

It is the second serious assault incident in Wairoa this month.

The victim from the first incident in Campbell Street on May 2 has been discharged from hospital.

Det Sr Sgt Ford said the two incidents were unrelated.

THE Wairoa man critically injured in an assault in the town last weekend has now been discharged from Hawke’s Bay Hospital in Hastings to further recover at home.

He was transferred back from Wellington Hospital’s intensive care unit to Hawke’s Bay Hospital earlier this week and was discharged from there yesterday.

The 27-year-old suffered a serious injury to his upper body in an incident in Lion Street in Wairoa early on Sunday morning.

Detective Senior Sergeant Kevin Ford said the matter was gang-related.

“There have been no arrests made as yet but we have extra staff working in Wairoa, including some doing extra shifts, as our investigation continues.”

Police continue to seek witnesses to the incident.

“We want to hear from anyone who was at that address or in that area of Wairoa early Sunday morning,” Det Snr Sgt Ford said.

“We would like to reassure the community that this is an isolated incident and there will be a larger police presence in the area.

“We also encourage anyone who notices suspicious behaviour, or has information that may assist this investigation to call Wairoa Police on 06-838 8345 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

It is the second serious assault incident in Wairoa this month.

The victim from the first incident in Campbell Street on May 2 has been discharged from hospital.

Det Sr Sgt Ford said the two incidents were unrelated.

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Do you agree with the call from Regional Economic Development Minister Shane Jones for Gisborne to be developed as a wood-processing hub?