Facebook bid to help fire-stricken Coast family

FUNDRAISING has started to help a Tolaga Bay family who lost all their possessions in a fire that swept through their home last month.

The blaze broke out in a rear bedroom of the Hauiti Road home on the afternoon of May 31.

Firefighters were able to save the exterior of the home but the interior was totally gutted,

“My mother and little sister and her partner have lost everything and I have started a fundraiser to support them at this hard time,” said Wellington man Zaman Lewis.

“The fire was a tragedy for them because it has destroyed everything, including my mum’s business Medina Organic SkinCare.

“It destroyed all of their personal belongings,” he said.

“Thankfully nobody was injured, however, as they are uninsured it will be extremely difficult for them to get back on their feet after such a catastrophic event.”

He has set up a social media page “in the hope of raising enough money to get them started on what is likely to be a long journey”.

“While money will not return the memories and sentimental items that have been lost in their home, I can at least hope it will allow a level of normality to return to their lives.”

Mr Lewis said any donation, big or small, would be much appreciated.

The donation site can be accessed through Facebook.

“I have called it ‘My mum’s house fire recovery fund’.”

The family has been living in temporary accommodation since the fire.

“I know they would ultimately like to have another place of their own at some stage.”

Mr Lewis said his mother and the other family members were still upset about what happened.

“Some financial help would go a long way to support them at this difficult time.”

FUNDRAISING has started to help a Tolaga Bay family who lost all their possessions in a fire that swept through their home last month.

The blaze broke out in a rear bedroom of the Hauiti Road home on the afternoon of May 31.

Firefighters were able to save the exterior of the home but the interior was totally gutted,

“My mother and little sister and her partner have lost everything and I have started a fundraiser to support them at this hard time,” said Wellington man Zaman Lewis.

“The fire was a tragedy for them because it has destroyed everything, including my mum’s business Medina Organic SkinCare.

“It destroyed all of their personal belongings,” he said.

“Thankfully nobody was injured, however, as they are uninsured it will be extremely difficult for them to get back on their feet after such a catastrophic event.”

He has set up a social media page “in the hope of raising enough money to get them started on what is likely to be a long journey”.

“While money will not return the memories and sentimental items that have been lost in their home, I can at least hope it will allow a level of normality to return to their lives.”

Mr Lewis said any donation, big or small, would be much appreciated.

The donation site can be accessed through Facebook.

“I have called it ‘My mum’s house fire recovery fund’.”

The family has been living in temporary accommodation since the fire.

“I know they would ultimately like to have another place of their own at some stage.”

Mr Lewis said his mother and the other family members were still upset about what happened.

“Some financial help would go a long way to support them at this difficult time.”

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Do you support the new identity and wellbeing focus of Trust Tairawhiti (formerly Eastland Community Trust)?