Van fire near kids’ bedroom

Residents at a Valley Road house got a fright last night when a van parked on the front lawn caught fire and burned within a few metres of a bedroom where their children were sleeping.

Fire and Emergency NZ received a 111 call about the incident at about 11.30pm.

“We were at the back of the house when we heard banging noises, then smelled burning plastic,” a woman who lives in the house said this morning. “Our neighbours rushed over to say the van on our front lawn was on fire.

“It was only five metres away from the front of the house and my kids were asleep in the front room. I was worried the van was going to explode, so I immediately evacuated the children.”

The men in the house grabbed a garden hose and neighbours joined in with hoses.

“They managed to put out the flames around the outside of the van and then the fire brigade arrived to deal with the fire inside it.”

The fire crew put out the rest of the fire.

“It was still burning when the fire crew arrived and the vehicle was badly damaged,” a senior firefighter said.

There was no one injured or affected by smoke during the incident.

  • A Patutahi family got home early last night to find a small fire starting in the extractor fan above their stove.

They dealt with it before it took hold.

The family called 111 and Fire and Emergency NZ sent appliances from Patutahi and Gisborne to the Seddon Street property.

The residents isolated the power to the fan, which stopped the fire, a senior firefighter said.

“They were then able to disconnect and remove the extractor fan, and took it outside.”

Firefighters made sure the fire was out, then checked to ensure there were no other electrical issues in the kitchen.

Residents at a Valley Road house got a fright last night when a van parked on the front lawn caught fire and burned within a few metres of a bedroom where their children were sleeping.

Fire and Emergency NZ received a 111 call about the incident at about 11.30pm.

“We were at the back of the house when we heard banging noises, then smelled burning plastic,” a woman who lives in the house said this morning. “Our neighbours rushed over to say the van on our front lawn was on fire.

“It was only five metres away from the front of the house and my kids were asleep in the front room. I was worried the van was going to explode, so I immediately evacuated the children.”

The men in the house grabbed a garden hose and neighbours joined in with hoses.

“They managed to put out the flames around the outside of the van and then the fire brigade arrived to deal with the fire inside it.”

The fire crew put out the rest of the fire.

“It was still burning when the fire crew arrived and the vehicle was badly damaged,” a senior firefighter said.

There was no one injured or affected by smoke during the incident.

  • A Patutahi family got home early last night to find a small fire starting in the extractor fan above their stove.

They dealt with it before it took hold.

The family called 111 and Fire and Emergency NZ sent appliances from Patutahi and Gisborne to the Seddon Street property.

The residents isolated the power to the fan, which stopped the fire, a senior firefighter said.

“They were then able to disconnect and remove the extractor fan, and took it outside.”

Firefighters made sure the fire was out, then checked to ensure there were no other electrical issues in the kitchen.

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.