House smoked out

Firefighters were called to a smoke-logged house in Karaka Street, Elgin last night after neighbours heard smoke alarms sounding and called 111.

Fire and Emergency NZ responded at about 7pm.

“It turned out to be another unattended cooking incident,” a senior firefighter said.

“The occupants were away from the house at the time, and food on the stove overheated and generated a lot of smoke.”

The fire crews forced entry and once inside, took the overcooked food container outside.

They then ventilated the house with a positive pressure ventilation system.

“There was no fire damage caused, but there was some smoke damage.”

Firefighters were called to a smoke-logged house in Karaka Street, Elgin last night after neighbours heard smoke alarms sounding and called 111.

Fire and Emergency NZ responded at about 7pm.

“It turned out to be another unattended cooking incident,” a senior firefighter said.

“The occupants were away from the house at the time, and food on the stove overheated and generated a lot of smoke.”

The fire crews forced entry and once inside, took the overcooked food container outside.

They then ventilated the house with a positive pressure ventilation system.

“There was no fire damage caused, but there was some smoke damage.”

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Do you support the new identity and wellbeing focus of Trust Tairawhiti (formerly Eastland Community Trust)?