Democracy an illusion

LETTER

I was under the foolish misapprehension that we live in a democracy and that MMP was supposed to give even minority groups some say in how our country is run, not control. But I now see that our democracy is only an illusion.

New Zealand First claims to have the mandate of the people and that mandate is for change. Could someone please explain what happened to the mandate of the other 92.8 percent of the people who voted in our farce of an election?

If it was good for the country, would it not be conceivable that our voted representatives, National 44.4 percent, Labour 36.9 percent — total 81.3 percent — put aside their differences and do something to ensure that the will of the people be taken into consideration?

The conclusion I have come to is that like all other idealistic theories, MMP is only as good as the self-serving egotists we allow to control the halls of power.

Kennedy said: “Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country?” Love or hate the man, our present-day politicians could use a good dose of that particular philosophy.

Phil Newdick

I was under the foolish misapprehension that we live in a democracy and that MMP was supposed to give even minority groups some say in how our country is run, not control. But I now see that our democracy is only an illusion.

New Zealand First claims to have the mandate of the people and that mandate is for change. Could someone please explain what happened to the mandate of the other 92.8 percent of the people who voted in our farce of an election?

If it was good for the country, would it not be conceivable that our voted representatives, National 44.4 percent, Labour 36.9 percent — total 81.3 percent — put aside their differences and do something to ensure that the will of the people be taken into consideration?

The conclusion I have come to is that like all other idealistic theories, MMP is only as good as the self-serving egotists we allow to control the halls of power.

Kennedy said: “Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country?” Love or hate the man, our present-day politicians could use a good dose of that particular philosophy.

Phil Newdick

Your email address will not be published. Comments will display after being approved by a staff member. Comments may be edited for clarity.

Tony Pickett - 9 days ago
Dead right Phil. I thought an election was a race or a competition first across the line, first to touch the end of the pool or most points scored, etc. What a joke that there is a possibility that 2nd, 3rd and 4th together can be promoted to first. MMP is Bollocks and should be kicked out the door. National thrashed the field and should be the Government, like the people voted.

Poll

  • Voting please wait...
    Your vote has been cast. Reloading page...
    Did Winston Peters and New Zealand First make the right decision?